Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to Filmiliarity. The purpose of this oddly-titled blog is to discuss films that interest me, regardless of their genre or, for that matter, their quality. I've been wanting to start this blog for a while; in a way, it's meant to be a rebirth of another, less-focused blog I have over at LiveJournal. I never liked the cumbersome URL of the other blog, and I prefer the layout options over here, so I decided to make a fresh start. One of my major stumbling blocks, however, has been coming up with a suitable title. Practically everything I thought of had already been taken, and I was beginning to think I'd never be able to create something both unique and clever. My epiphany came today, and here I am.

As you can see from the blog description, the title is a mash-up of the words film and familiarity. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, I know (say it with me - "film-ill-ee-air-it-ee"), but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The film part, well, that's obvious. The word familiarity, though, has multiple definitions, and most of them seem to coincide with my general feelings about movies. Let's take a look at how Dictionary.com defines familiarity:

1. thorough knowledge or mastery of a thing, subject, etc.
2. the state of being familiar; friendly relationship; close acquaintance; intimacy.
3. an absence of ceremony and formality; informality.
4. freedom of behavior justified only by the closest relationship; undue intimacy.
While I would never in a million years claim to have mastery of the subject, I do possess a relatively thorough knowledge of film, although said knowledge is abnormally slanted toward horror films. I'd like to think I have a friendly relationship with the cinema, but like all relationships, it can become strained at times. I do tend to prefer a certain informality to the movies I watch; if a film lapses into pretentiousness, it usually gets shut off. (Notice I didn't say "walked out on" - despite my avowed love of the cinema as an art form, my love of the cinema as a building has waned as of late, and my excursions to an actual movie theater have subsequently dwindled to a few per year at best.) And the part about undue intimacy, well, let's just say that many of the films I watch tend to take certain liberties with one's sensibilities that the average viewer might not appreciate. But I'm not the average viewer, as you will discover if you stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment